Saturday, January 7, 2012

Tales Of A Fearful Fisherman: Survey Style

Image from:
http://surveys-paid-online.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/survey2.gif
In a small town, large scale evangelism is hard to do.  The town I live in has maybe two large events (meaning of over a hundred people or so) in a year.  Living in the Bible belt is both a blessing, because there are lots of churches, but there are also lots of lukewarm Christians, hypocrites and people who have been hurt by those hypocrites.  Even amongst this, there are still Christians going out and sharing there faith, and people who God has made open to the message.

Me and a company of friends took off on the last day of my winter break to do some Evangelism "Survey Style."  Normally, in this small town, there is very few places to go where lots of people are gathered.  We tryed to go "fishing" at the public park, and after receiving very little "biting" there. (The first guy we asked actually told us he had already take our survey, even though we had just arrived there and he had no knowledge as to what it was about.)
So, the team took off for the mall in town.  I have never thought the mall would be a good spot.  They don't allow "religious or political groups within the mall" so we took an entrance outside the mall.  (Which we would later find, is a fantastic spot due to a newly added bar within the mall).

Also, I would later find out that I need not fear the "no loitering" sign outside of the mall.  Evangelism is in no way loitering, (sitting without a purpose) and we were in no way blocking an entrance, but if asked to leave I probably would have said Romans 13, and came back another time.

(Funny story, we did actually run into a mall employee, but he wasn't interested in our surveys but said nothing regarding our use of them)

So, we took out our surveys (which can be found by clicking on "Survey Style" up above) and began our fishing.

Let me be honest, I was skeptical that surveys would be a useful evangelism tool.  But, I came away singing a different tune.

They are instant conversation starters.  People who take surveys are usually more open then ones who don't.  After having some conversations with David, who was a believer we were able to encourage to share his faith, and Denise and nonbeliever who had a hard life.  They told them about there new lives since coming to Christ, which is our "side arm in evangelism" (H.L. Hussmann, "Gods Greatest Passion"). I sit back at this point, and watched these first conversations happened.  We were able to tell them about everlasting life and pray with them on the spot, much to the stares of all the people leaving the mall.

I took the next one.  We talked to Chris and James.  Chris stated he was 100% he would go to Heaven, while James wasn't so sure.  In the Bible belt it's common to see answer both that Jesus is the Son of God, and that they don't agree with His teachings.  While noticing that Chris was more then likely a believer based on His answers, I turned my attention to James.  But, remember, when having conversation, talk to the one who is most concerned about eternal things, whether they are a believer or not, the other will hear the Gospel too.

I ran him through the Law and asked Him if He was concerned that He would end up in Hell.  After explaining to him that God was a Judge and that He was Good and Just, James agreed He would end up in Hell.  I them told Him the Gospel of everlasting life.  I told him that Jesus came to earth and died, and that he needed to repent and trust in Christ.  We encouraged him to read John chapter 3 and I took the moment to invite James and Chris out to church with me.  He seemed responsive and was interested in coming out too one of the two services.

I pray and await to see James or Chris this Sunday...

After over two hours of being out in the 20 degree cold, but on the fire of these last conversations, we set out for one more conversation.  Though it was a long time coming, we found what would be one of the most encouraging part of street evangelism that I think these surveys assist with.  Encouraging and discipling other believers (which the Bible says we are also meant to do). 

We met a man who had recently rededicated his life to the Lord, but he said he had made a mistake and gotten his girlfriend pregnant.  (He also gave us a very Biblically accurate answer to "What would you tell someone else who wanted to go to heaven?") After praying with him, giving him some encouragement through the Word.  He seemed encouraged by us talking to him.

After what was a fantastic day of evangelism, feet numb but hearts on fire; I praised God for how good He is.  He had opened up those people to the Gospel, and He had given me what I believe to be a new fishing spot in the future.

Sometimes we can come into evangelism doubtful as to the ability of the method, or even in our own ability, but it makes us realize all the more that it is no our ability, but God who works through us.  When you biblically proclaim the Gospel, using the Law to make the heart ready for the Gospel, you speak the power of God unto salvation, (Romans 1:16) which is greater then any doubt we could ever have.

And so it was with me, brothers and sisters. When I came to you, I did not come with eloquence or human wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God.  For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness with great fear and trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on human wisdom, but on God’s power. -1 Corinthians 2:1-5

God bless!

No comments: