Saturday, October 14, 2017

Give the Knife to Jesus

If it hasn’t happened to you yet, it will.

Betrayal.  Infidelity.  Dishonesty. 

We call this being “stabbed in the back.”  As far as clichés go, it provides an accurate picture.  Betrayal feels like a knife in the back and just like being stabbed, it affects so much more than the heart.  The whole person is drowned in a flood of shock, pain, and confusion.

The Scripture puts perfect language to this.

My heart is in anguish within me;

    the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fear and trembling come upon me,

    and horror overwhelms me. – Psalm 55:4-5

Betrayal is not just a heart pain, but a horror which “overwhelms.”  There is something about this sort of pain different from the suffering caused by strangers.  In fact, Psalm 55 continues and articulates this same reality,

For it is not an enemy who taunts me—

    then I could bear it;
it is not an adversary who deals insolently with me—
    then I could hide from him.
13 But it is you, a man, my equal,

    my companion, my familiar friend.

14 We used to take sweet counsel together;
    within God's house we walked in the throng.” - Psalm 55:12-14

David, the human author of this Psalm, had experienced betrayal by his son Absolam and his counselor Ahithophel (you can read more about this in 2 Samuel 15-18).  God chose for David’s experience to be written down for us (see 1 Corinthians 10:6).  We are meant to gain something from this.  But, when we get to David’s crescendo, we are left wanting more:

Cast your burden on the 
Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
– Psalm 55:22

As I read that, I hope I’m not the only one who thinks, “Really God?  You’re going to conclude this Psalm with a cliché like that!  Yes, I hadn’t thought of that option yet!”  If we were honest, we’d recognize that these sorts of verses often put a bad taste in our mouth (which is something we may need to bring before the Lord in repentance, but that is a point for another blog).  These sorts of verses are expected to give us instant comfort (and often don’t).  It often seems the one trying to encourage us is trying to pacify us.

“Cast your burdens on the Lord.”  I’m left asking, “What does that mean?”  I mean, I know what the words mean, and even the picture it paints.  But, how exactly do I do that?  Fortunately, God offers us the whole Psalm to help guide us.

What does it look like to “cast my burdens” on the Lord?  How do I place my betrayal in His hands?  How do I give Jesus the knife that was left in my back? 

Psalm 55 offers 3 considerations.

First, giving the knife to Jesus means recognizing you’re bleeding.
  This may seem unusual, but I know I am tempted to put on the “fake it till I make it” face, especially around people who can see right through it.  I am not suggesting you air all your dirty laundry for the world to see (please, don’t put it on Facebook!).  It does mean that you should pursue confession.  Don’t pretend that the pain isn’t there.  Stop pretending.  Miranda Lambert sings the song “Tin Man.”  She sings,

"Hey there, Mr. Tin Man

You don't know how lucky you are
You shouldn't spend your whole life wishin'
For something bound to fall apart
Every time you're feeling empty
Better thank your lucky stars
If you ever felt one breaking
You'd never want a heart"


I fear many us try to live like a Tin Man.  No heart, no emotions.  That is not how God made us!
Many of us try to hide behind an image we have created (we often display this image through social media).  But God sees through it.  In fact, so does the world.  The shirt of the image we project cannot hide the handle of the blade in our backs.  Others see you’re hurting.  God sees you’re hurting.  Confess, to God and others.  See the way David confesses throughout the Psalm?  His opening words are the sort of confession we may need to model,

Attend to me, and answer me;

    I am restless in my complaint and I moan,”-
Psalm 55:2

Honesty is the beginning of healing.  Don’t worry, God loves embracing messy people.  In fact, messy people are the only kind of people God loves- because messy people is all there is!  Casting your burden begins with confessing your burden.

Second, giving the knife to Jesus means letting Him be the Judge.  
I said this in the last point and I’ll say it again- broadcasting your betrayal on Facebook will heal the wound.  Declaring to the world, “I have a knife in my back!” does not take the knife out.  Throughout Psalm 55, we see David letting God be God.

We are so tempted to try to do God’s job.  We want to be in the judge’s chair.  But, we must recognize that no matter what we do, God already has that role.  Throughout the Psalm he trusts that the Lord is aware and will judge accordingly.  Instead of retaliating, his response is simple, “But I call to God, and the LORD will save me.”  God is the one who will destroy, humble, and cast down (v. 9, 19, 23).

Paul picks up this idea in the book of Romans when he writes, “Beloved, 
never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God” (12:19).  Many people find the idea of God punishing evil abhorrent until something evil happens to them.  God has a day when He will set the record straight.  God will vindicate those who have been mistreated.  We do not need revenge, let Him do His job!  Casting our burdens on the Lord means letting God be God. 

Third, giving the knife to Jesus means standing firm.  It is amazing how the Bible never tells us to “move on.”  The Bible’s exhortation is to stand firm in faith.  Be righteous, regardless of the circumstance.  Ultimately, casting our burdens on the Lord means staying the course and continuing in faithfulness.

How often do we let the hurts of life take us off course?  We get so consumed with our suffering that we forget our Savior.  But, God’s call is not to waver, to stand firm.  If we do this, He promises that we will stand firm and will not be moved.  See the last half of verse 22 that we have been talking about?  The narrow way is often covered in thorns and walked without shoes.  But, its destination is life (Matthew 7:13-14).  Do we trust the promises of our Savior?
 
In fact, no one understands our pain more than Jesus!  He endured betrayal, even died to forgive those who turned their back on Him (see Romans 5:8)!  Jesus understands.  Jesus forgives.  Jesus transforms.  Your burden is not too heavy, your darkness is not without hope.  Casting our burdens on the Lord means trusting that His way is right, even if life is hard.

While I do not come with all the answers, I come with a Word from the One who does.  He never tells David why He experienced what He did.  But, He proves to be enough for Him through the questions.  He offers to take the knife and heal the bleeding.  Behind the clichés, will we find hope?  Will we hear the voice of God to us?  Will we hand the knife to the One with nail pierced hands?

No comments: